Tuesday, July 12, 2011

A night in Amsterdam
















Having always enjoyed my trips to Amsterdam I saw no reason to stay at the airport all night long (my flight got into Amsterdam at 10:00PM and didn't leave till 10:00AM the next morning).

I ate Burger King at the airport before heading into the city.
I love this city, the first two times I was there I didn't even get high but its still rather beautiful.
This time though, I decided to indulge.
I won't get you tangled up in my mistakes, but needless to say I had a really great night that made me horribly sick at the airport the next morning (and very very paranoid that I wouldn't make my flight).

My commentary on Amsterdam is and will always be, I am glad there are places where things are not as taboo, but its sad that it has to come with rampant consumerism and exploitation.

It really is a beautiful city, but by the time I was heading back I was well gone, sleep deprived, emotional and way off my rocker.   I laughed at the girls speaking in dutch across from me. I couldn't tell if they thought I was listening to them or if they knew I was just a smiley idiot.

At the airport I tried to get focused and found to my dismay that I couldn't. It really ruined the whole night... The small amazing cultural differences got lost in the chaos... the things I felt were so beautiful, became cheap.

-I am somewhat happy to report though that the budget hotel where I once got bedbugs didn't seem to be operating... and for some reason that makes me happy (those were hellish nights as well).

Somehow I made it on my flight (thank the airport attendants) and by the time I got home I felt fairly decent again. The next morning I woke up and went to work.

No comments: