Friday, July 19, 2013

Skaftafell iceland impressions III

Skaftafell was the second of my big tours... Overall I think I am going to be spending at least $1000 on this one week of touring iceland. Tours including: golden circle, skaftafell and glacier lagoon, snaelfellsnes, blue lagoon and a whale tour... I all goes well. 

It's weird for how much it felt like I did yesterday in reporting back there isn't much to say. I got to see a lot of southern iceland, the rich farms of the south where the majority of the food is grown I guess, and then the barren portion where the soil has been washed away and a layer of volcanic sand and ash is present with not much vegetation other than mossy grass and the purple Alaskan flower than helps with soil erosion.  The driver pointed out how massive these floods were by telling us the beginning point and then every bridge that had been damaged for the next 1.5. Hours.   You really get a strong impression of both how awesome the earth is, and how much it affects the people of iceland. The land is just too young and unstable.  The earthquakes, volcanos and occasional glacial floods when warmed water underneath a glacier breaks free.  Iceland was actually more habitable during the time of the settlement than it is now... More good soil, more trees, more vegetation, less devastation... But of course the Vikings had far less technology and were pretty dependent on trade and imports of fine crafts when they first got here.

It is a fascinating history altogether.  
Anyway our trip was through the south all the way to the easternmost and biggest of all the glaciers. We first stopped at a large waterfall where supposedly gold is buried. It put a nice sense of awe on your face. Then back in the van for several hours till we stopped at some minor rest stops and got to see the Atlantic.   Then further into the devastated territory to skaftafell, which was supposed to be my final destination of sorts but it was raining, so instead of getting out in the rain and hiking to the glacier I went with some of the other tourists to the glacial lagoon where chunks of icebergs break off into fresh water lake that floats into the ocean... They are small enough icebergs that you can get near them... In fact a tiny one was ought on board and cut into chunks for the other tourists to sip whiskey... It was a German celebration of sorts and other than enjoying the show of the German tour guide,  mostly just watched the birds fly head first into the turquoise water and emerge with out fish in their beaks.... I couldn't spot ny fish either, but. There was a seal in the lake so there must be some food too. 
It was raining when we got there but warmed up by the time we left, and by warmed up I mean it stopped raining and maybe went up 1 degree Celsius.   On the way back it rained a lot and I napped in the car.  We stopped again at the rest atop by the Atlantic and I ran out to the black sand beach just as it started raining. Beautiful sight but I was surprised how small the waves were. In fact I have nt seen any big waves and I am hoping that ip the whale tour won't be so bad. 
We stopped back at one more waterfall on the way back which was cool because you could go behind it, icelands version of minnehaha I guess, but much taller.

As we were coming back into town we listened to some nice Icelandic music and I realized that along with being a very proud people Icelanders are also a very tight group.   The tour guide said he has met e president a few times, and that one of the rock bands on the cd was a member of parliament.  It's just interesting...   More on culture and people later. Hopefully. 

I bussed down to hafnarfjudor  and had trouble finding my hostel. Some really nice partying people in a neighborhood helped me find it.   Everyone is so nice when asked... And kind of reserved when not. 
Another thing I was surprised by is that I saw little kids still playing outside at 11:30pm... I guess because it is still bright out their parents don't worry.

Some  12 years olds tried to flirt with me while I was walking and that reminds me -though is slightly unrelated... All of the women seem to either be my age and have kids, or be significantly too young.   Like where did the single 20 something's go?   I see teens and I see moms, but there is nothing in-between. Of course I haven't really gone to a bar yet, so maybe I am missing out on my age group.  

Hmmm. More later I think.


No comments: